Sunday, December 4, 2011

Taking Steps

I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward. - Thomas Alva Edison

The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs...one step at a time. - Joe Girard

It's been a month since I have started the new health plan that my friend E helped set up for me.  While the process has been slow, things are moving along.  So far, the scale is reading 5 pounds less than when I started, my clothes fit better and my energy level is up.  Who would have thought that high quality supplements could make such a big difference in how I feel!  Of course, I would like to be back to a size 10 YESTERDAY but I know that I must be patient.  Afterall, the weight didn't come on overnight.

One thing that I am focusing on is the number of steps I'm walking rather than mileage.  That's a big adjustment for me after years of counting miles.  My brain keeps wanting to convert the steps into miles.  The problem with doing that is that it makes me focus too much on what I'm NOT doing instead of the fact that I am at least doing SOMETHING.  I'm a runner at heart and walking only feels like, well, a cop out.  I'm doing all the pre-workout things I used to do when I would run - same clothes, same socks and shoes, same safety light if I go out at night and I pound the same sidewalks and trails.  A part of me feels sad that I'm not running but I try to squash those thoughts and tell myself that what I am doing will help me get back into running shape.  Baby steps.  The weight needs to come off so that I can run safely (I've only had one running injury and I would like to keep it that way).  

I'm happy that I'm taking steps to reclaim my health and my body.  So far, so good and it hasn't been painful which is a huge plus.  I'm not measuring food but I am being mindful of what I eat in terms of quality.  I pop a few vitamin and mineral tablets a couple of times a day and I have my protein shakes.  And I am walking and moving as much as possible.  Couldn't be easier!  While I'm not running (yet!!!), I know that taking small steps will pay off in the end so I am gonna keep on keeping on.  I'm worth it.

Happy Trails!
Valeka  

No comments:

Post a Comment