Sunday, October 2, 2011

Nothing

Running has taught me, perhaps more than anything else, that there's no reason to fear starting lines...or other new beginnings - Amby Burfoot, The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life

Running is the classical road to self-consciousness, self-awareness and self-reliance - Noel Carroll
 

This week, I did nothing.  I didn't run or blog or do much else that would be deemed as productive.  Not to worry, I will be running/wogging this upcoming week and every week from here until February (at least).  For some reason, I just felt that I needed this week to prepare myself mentally.  Things have been hectic for the last month or so and it felt good to take a nice big exhale.  Now I'm ready to focus on me and what I need.  And I need to run.  It is my solace, my therapy, my old friend.  

When I run, I always discover new things about myself.  Some of the things are good and some are not but I always learn something.  And I don't necessarily learn new things regarding my ability to run.  Most of the time I learn life lessons or discover a new facet to my personality.  Good or bad stuff aside, it's always good to get to know one's self and running is one of the best ways I know how to do that.

Tomorrow begins a new chapter in my life as a runner.  The training for the half-marathon will be secondary for me when I lace up tomorrow after work.  My focus is going to be on me.  Of course I will be preparing for the race in the process but that will be in the back of my mind.  Gotta take care of me first.  Time to turn nothing into something - in more ways than one.  

Happy Trails!
Valeka  

No comments:

Post a Comment