Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Road Tested - KT Tape

KT Tape (Kinesiology Therapeutic Tape) is a great item that I became familiar with a couple of years ago.  One of the goody bags I received at a race included a sample pack and I must admit, I was skeptical that tape could actually help injuries or sprains.  Until recently, I have been fortunate to be virtually injury-free despite putting in lots of miles of running/wogging.  I experienced an ankle sprain for the first time in January after slipping on some water in my parents kitchen (I knew it was bad when I heard a loud "pop" and it swelled up).  It's taken a while to get my ankle back to somewhat normal and KT Tape ($12.99, kttape.com) has been very helpful in my rehabilitation.  It can be used for a multitude of injuries for stability, pain-relief and support.  Even though the tape looks pretty simple, there is a lot of science behind the product and how it functions with your body.  The KT Tape website features video instructions on how to apply the tape properly for best results.  KT Tape is latex-free, sweat-proof and water-proof (it stays on through several showers and lots of miles) but it is really easy to remove when you are ready to put on some fresh tape.  One of the things I love about KT Tape is that it is lightweight and not nearly as cumbersome as wearing an ankle brace for support (plus, it comes in some GREAT colors!).  If you have any injuries or weak joints that you want to stabilize, give KT Tape a whirl.  It (or similar products) can be found at most athletic stores, running stores or drugstores.

Happy Trails,
Valeka 

No comments:

Post a Comment