Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Size Doesn't Matter


It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain

Though she be but little, she is fierce! - William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

To the casual observer, Big Baby is the obvious choice to be my running/wogging/trail buddy since she looks like the "athletic" one BUT...looks can be deceiving!  I've mentioned a few times that I don't look like a "typical" athlete but that I have just as much love for my sport as any other runner.  My little dachshund, Mimi, embodies that same attitude.



Mimi is chunky despite her best efforts to lose weight (she has a slow metabolism as diagnosed by her veterinarian) but she doesn't ever let that keep her from enjoying outdoor activities!  She tries hard to keep up with Big Baby during walks and will keep going until she just can't go anymore.  She has lots of fight and spirit and I love her for it.  

During a brief weekend getaway, she and I took a walk along a beautiful stretch of beach.  I watched her run and hop around with enthusiasm.  It made me wish I had a little more of that spunk!





The two of us ran our athletically chubby butts along the sand and had a blast!  She didn't worry about her jiggle and neither did I...which is exactly how it should be.  The joy of the activity should be our priority and not what we look like while we are doing it.  Size doesn't matter to her!  She just goes out, does her thing and makes the most of every moment.  


While Mimi cooled off with a dip in the ocean, I couldn't help but smile.  It's amazing the lessons we can learn from our pets when we really pay attention to them.  She reminded me that we shouldn't focus on what we look like or what OTHERS think our limitations are.  If we don't see obstacles in front of us, not only do we enjoy life more but we may even surprise ourselves and do some pretty cool stuff!




What do you think your obstacles are?  Now that you have acknowledged them, toss 'em away.  You don't need to impose limits on yourself especially the kind that keep you from doing fun things!


Mimi thinks you should give yourself a break and enjoy life.  Trust her - she knows what she is talking about!

Happy Trails!

Valeka

No comments:

Post a Comment