Monday, May 7, 2012

Cookin' It Up

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz

I made a conscious effort to cook more at home this week.  Not only is it easier on my pocketbook but it's also much healthier for me.  I can control what I am eating and how it is being prepared.  I need that to keep myself on track with my slow but sure weight loss (down 10 pounds since March - YIPPEE!).

Most of the things I make are modified versions of my favorite foods - turkey burgers, oven-baked chicken tenders, whole grain and flax pancakes.  I'm not much of a cook but I try to make things that are tasty but good for me.  I don't want to give up flavor because I have to watch what I eat.

I had to celebrate my Mexican-American heritage on Cinco De Mayo with some Mexican comfort food but I didn't want to go out and have a plate of greasy nachos (although it was very, VERY tempting to do).  Instead, I made some delicious fish tacos at home.  They were super easy and filling.  I used tilapia filets, added a black bean and corn salsa that I made and topped with shredded cabbage and cilantro.  I also sneaked in a little touch of avocado.  I was pretty proud of myself!

I'm trying to keep the cooking at home thing easy because, I know myself, and if it isn't easy I won't stick with it.  I don't have time to do the whole gourmet cooking thing and, quite frankly, I don't want to be in my kitchen for hours at a time.  It needs to be simple, fresh and healthy.  So far so good!  It's pretty encouraging!

The healthy cooking plus regular walks will continue to give me the results that I need.  Slow and steady wins the race!

Happy Trails!
Valeka   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment