Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Anti-Resolution

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. - Benjamin Franklin

A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other.  ~Author Unknown

I have never been very much into the idea of forming resolutions on New Year's Eve.  I guess it's because I view resolutions as broken promises to ones self.  We've all done it - things get hard or too tempting so we give up on the resolution.  I especially don't like resolutions about weight loss or fitness and that is probably because in the very distant past, I did make that type of resolution and every time, I failed.  Being healthy shouldn't be something that we have to resolve to do - we should just do it. 

Ending the year six pounds lighter is certainly a motivator for me.  The fact that I didn't gain weight during the holiday season is a HUGE deal for me and I'm pretty happy about it but I know that I can do more.  I am going to make that commitment to myself this year.  A commitment.  A vow.  A promise to take better care of myself and to focus more on my well-being.  Sounds simple enough but most of the time, if you are like me, you find yourself taking care of others more than you take care of yourself.  Nothing wrong with caring for those we love but how about giving ourselves the same attention and love that we give others?  It's not okay to skimp on our own wellness or to cut corners when it comes to our health.  Being healthy gives us more energy, stamina and, ultimately, longevity.  Wouldn't you want those things for those you care about?  Then why not want that for ourselves?

Start small.  Make one small change, then another and another.  Give up a bad habit (or excuse).  My BFF gave up sodas almost a year ago.  It sounds like an itty bitty change but when you consider that a regular soda is 160 calories per can and lots of folks drink more than one per day (or sometimes more than one per MEAL), the savings in calories and sugar intake becomes significant.  Simply choosing water or unsweetened iced tea instead of a soda has helped her to keep her weight somewhat under control during what has been an extremely stressful year for her (and we all know that stress makes us gain weight and does crazy things to our bodies).  Before you know it, those small changes will add up to some major improvements in lifestyle and health.  Now....if only I can get my other bestie to quit drinking evil Red Bulls (or stop smoking)!!

With the holiday season behind me, I plan on cooking more at home.  It's something I started doing more often at the beginning of November and tried to maintain over the holidays.  Cooking at home allows me to control what is going into my body and, to be super honest, I don't completely trust myself at restaurants.  I always intend to eat healthier fare and wind up with my favorite cheesy nachos.  I am also going to add more steps to my walking.  I ended the year walking approximately 2-3 miles just about every day.  That's something that I can easily increase by walking during my lunch hour.  The extra time spent walking will help me from a fitness perspective but it will also help me clear my head in the middle of my work day.  Throughout the year, I plan to incorporate other forms of exercise into my fitness routine such as Zumba, yoga and perhaps a little martial arts (for those days when I need to get out my aggression!). 

There are limitless possibilities for us all in the upcoming year!  A new year is a chance for us to start with a clean slate and get things right for ourselves.  So let's make it happen!  Best wishes to you all for a wonderful year filled with health, happiness and prosperity!

Happy Trails!
Valeka

No comments:

Post a Comment