Sunday, June 5, 2011

And so it begins....

If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt 

This week has been the sort with more downs than ups but, as cliche as it sounds, everything happens for a reason.  Sometimes we need a swift, hard kick in the ass to get us moving.  That is the kind of week it was for me (I am referring to my professional life, all else is pretty darn great).  I've decided not to devote any more energy to the problems there and redirect it in a more positive way - one that benefits ME.  Even though I've been progressing in my work outs, it has been a slow climb.  That could be because, even though I have been working towards becoming more fit, I didn't have an actual goal in mind.  So, my BFF and I made a bold move on National Running Day (June 1st) and signed up for the Livestrong Austin Half Marathon!!  I am soooooo very excited and am really looking forward to the race.  Of course, I would have preferred signing up for the full marathon but the training for that would have been such a huge commitment and it would have been hard for me to devote the necessary time to it.  The half marathon is a distance I am very comfortable with and there is plenty of time for me to prepare for it.  Plus, if I decide I'm ready, I can always upgrade to the FULL marathon (provided there are still spots available).  Of course, I will be sharing my training triumphs (and pitfalls) with you all.

I guess that's how life is sometimes - it ebbs and it flows.  The same can be said of training - we have good days and bad ones.  It's how we rebound from the tough times that makes all the difference in the world.  The Churchill quote I listed is one of my very favorites.  I recite it to myself any time I am going through a rough patch in my life or when I'm facing a difficult running route.  It is my mantra.  Hell, I may even get that printed on a t-shirt that I can wear to my race!!  I refuse to let anyone hold me back and I refuse to give them the power to determine my worth.  If I sound a wee bit angry, it's because I am.  There will always be people that don't appreciate you, tell you that you aren't good enough, that you aren't the right fit for something or that you can't do something.  You can let it eat away at your self-esteem or you can move on into a more positive direction.  And that's exactly what I'm going to do (in more ways than one).  I may not be fast or skinny but I am going to kick some ass at that race and I know that my family and friends will be there to cheer me on (some, in spirit only).  Because ultimately, the ones that love you aren't the ones that try to make you feel inferior.  They are the ones that lift you up, are there when things get hard and don't ever let you forget how fabulous you are.  Their positivity is what we should carry with us when things get hard and we doubt ourselves.  

So, let the games begin!!  I'm ready for the challenge and I'm ready to begin a new chapter in my life.....and there will be no looking back. 

Happy Trails,
Valeka  

No comments:

Post a Comment