Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Step Two - Self Love (Don't Let The Title Fool You!)

There are days when I look in the mirror and don't like what I see. I start wishing I had a magic wand to eliminate the jiggle of my thighs or a miracle eraser that I could swipe across my tummy pooch to make it disappear.

Over the course of my lifetime, I've given my less than stellar body parts nicknames like "doughnut", "brisket thighs", and "jelly belly." Yep, self-deprecating humor at it's finest (or worst). I always figured that if I laughed it off or criticized it first, then I was in control...or so I thought.

It's painful when others say cruel things to us yet we accept that kind of garbage from our own selves. When you love someone you encourage them, believe in them, and give them all of the positive energy that you can. We do what we can to lift them up so they can reach their goals and try our best to not use hurtful words towards them. So why on earth wouldn't we treat ourselves the same way?

A lot of it stems from the idea that giving ourselves that kind of love is selfish. It's NOT. Loving yourself isn't about being frivolous and excessively indulgent; it's about treating yourself with respect, valuing one's health and longevity. As flawed as we may think they are, our bodies are pretty freakin' awesome.

The more respect you give yourself, the more your body and mind will respond favorably. Acceptance of your body doesn't mean that it can't be improved; it means that you accept it in it's current state, which can always be bettered. Love yourself enough to make positive changes and don't chastise yourself if you fall short. Part of self-love means not giving up on yourself.

Recognize how amazing you are, stop beating yourself up, and choose the thoughts you  have about yourself with care because you ARE listening. Give it a shot because you are totally worth it!

Happy Trails!

Valeka




2 comments:

  1. This is very true, I think on the same line, thank you for sharing this :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tammy! Thank you so much for reading my post :-) I think we all need a reminder from time to time to treat ourselves well. In the crazy world we live in, it's easy to forget! Hope you are doing fabulous :-))

      Delete