Sunday, August 12, 2012

Slowing Down Time

 It takes a long time to become young. - Pablo Picasso

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. - Mark Twain

None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm. - Henry David Thoreau

I've never been one to avoid things in life but something I have always dreaded is getting old.  Crazy as this may sound, when I was younger (like 15 or so), I was already examining my face for signs of aging and always insisted that I had wrinkles around my eyes.  My mom always told me that I had nothing to worry about and that I should enjoy my youth because in a few years, things will change and I will wish I hadn't focused so much on it.  Boy was she right!

For the most part, I have always believed that age is a state of mind.  The anniversary of our birth doesn't necessarily reflect our "age".  Now that I'm at the chronological age that I am, I realize exactly how important it is to maintain an active lifestyle.  Moving and doing helps to maintain flexibility, strength and energy - all of which are associated with youth. 

Being sedentary not only leads to weight gain but it also causes our bodies to age before they should.  You know the expression "use it or lose it"?  It's true.  For me, the idea of walking around the grocery store in pain because my joints are stiff or not being able lift my leg easily to step off a curb, is unappealing and not an option. 

There is someone very near and dear to me that is going through this and it upsets me.  It bothers me because I don't like to think about this person getting older but also because it is 80% avoidable (I'm chalking up the other 20% to genetics).  So, if you are reading this (and you know who you are), please, pretty please, start doing some moderate, gentle exercise.  I want you to have the best possible quality of life that you can and that won't be possible if you aren't active.  It may hurt a little to move and get going but the alternative is far worse.  We still have a lot of things we need to do together not to mention all the energy you will need for your soon-to-arrive grandson.  Do it for him.  

I may not be the most athletic person in the world but I am far from inactive. I'm always in motion. Sometimes it is fast and hurried and at others it is relaxed and fluid but I always find something to do.  I move my ass every chance I get even if it's just a short burst of activity.  Something is always better than nothing and if it's going to keep me from getting old before my time, I'm gonna do it.

And you should too.

Happy Trails!


  1. Very motivational! Thanks for writing this. I haven't been to the park in several days. Need to get out there in the sunshine and move my butt.

    1. It's amazing the difference a little bit of activity can make! I think we are a lot like plants - we grow when we get sunlight :-)