Sunday, March 18, 2012

Reality Therapy

Illusions commend themselves to us because they save us pain and allow us to enjoy pleasure instead.  We must therefore accept it without complaint when they sometimes collide with a bit of reality against which they are dashed to pieces.  ~Sigmund Freud


I didn't buy my running shoes as planned this week but after seeing this picture, I set aside the idea of my old shoes being haunted (although I still think they are).  I decided to exorcise the demons attached to them by looking at this picture every single day.  It motivated me to get off of my ass and MOVE.  

This is an image that I rediscovered online this week.  My dear friend "E" that has been helping me on my weight loss journey posted this to his Facebook page a month ago and it left an impression on me.  I just happened to come across it again this week and it has kept me on the straight and narrow.  The image on the left is of a 250 pound woman.  The image on the right is that of a healthy 120 pound woman.  Clearly there are major differences between the two.  The joints have been distorted by the weight they are bearing.  There is fat around all of the organs and the heart is enlarged.  And that's just what we can see from this picture.  There are likely to be other things going on that aren't outwardly visible.  All very scary stuff.  

I am working hard to look like the image on the right.  I'm eating healthy and getting out for exercise daily.  Looking at the "bad" picture made me wonder how long a body can sustain that level of pressure on the joints and heart.  But the truth is, I don't want to find out.  

It really doesn't take more than some daily walks and healthy eating to get back on track.  You don't have to run marathons.  You don't have to get a personal trainer or join a gym.  The changes are simple.  Don't overcomplicate things by thinking that you need fancy gadgets and work out gear to start making yourself healthy.  It's so NOT the case at all.  But you can't do NOTHING and expect to be healthy.  Now, I will say that I have some "smaller" friends that I can easily run circles around even at my weight because they smoke, don't eat healthy, drink alcohol in excess.  I'm sure a picture of their innards wouldn't look like the picture on the left BUT they are mistreating their bodies just as much as someone who eats a Big Mac every day.  

So, boys and girls, the moral of the story is.....take care of yourself.  Do what you have to do to keep yourself healthy and fit.  And if you aren't healthy and fit right now, get there.  No excuses.  No complaining.  No living in denial.  Facing that reality is the biggest gift you can give yourself and those you love.

Happy Trails,
Valeka

No comments:

Post a Comment