Sunday, October 16, 2011

Music

Music in the soul can be heard by the universe. - Lao Tzu

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

I have been asked by several people whether or not I listen to music when I run or wog.  The answer is - I usually don't.  I prefer listening to the sound of my footfalls, my breathing and nature.  I reserve music for those days when I am having trouble relaxing into my run or when I can't clear my mind.

When I do play music, I listen to things that inspire me as opposed to songs that are just loud or have pronounced beats.  I do have a few "power songs" that I turn to when I need a boost but for the most part, I prefer songs that calm me.  I have found that something soothing benefits me more.  The music I select helps me keep a steady, relaxed pace.  My Ipod has lots of different genres - classic rock, classical music, opera, oldies, big band, indie rock and some alternative music.  Here is some of my favorite running music:

  • Where The Streets Have No Name - U2
  • Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
  • Round Here - Counting Crows
  • No Rain - Blind Melon
  • Take It Easy - The Eagles
  • Someone To Watch Over Me and Come Fly With Me - Frank Sinatra
  • Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
  • Running On Empty - Jackson Browne (which, incidentally, inspired the name of my blog)
  • Against The Wind - Bob Seger
  • La Grange - ZZ Top
  • Bad Romance - Lady Gaga
  • The Four Seasons - Vivaldi
  • Madame Butterfly - Puccini
  • November Rain - Guns N Roses
What do you like to listen to when you run (or work out)?  Share!!  Maybe some of your music will work for me, too!

Happy Trails!
Valeka



No comments:

Post a Comment