Sunday, April 24, 2011

Inspiration

I'm just an ordinary Amazon, but I feel that I can do things, so - I can do them! - Wonder Woman

Inspiration can come in many forms and from many different sources.  We all have our own story and our own reasons why we are trying to get healthy.  The things that inspire us may be just as unique as we are.  Do you wog because you have a friend or family member that isn't mobile because of an injury or illness?  Do you wog because you want to prove all the naysayers wrong?  Do you wog because you want to keep your thighs from rubbing together?  Whatever your reason(s), find your inspiration and pull from that when the last thing you feel like doing is tearing yourself away from the latest installment of the reality show flavor of the week.

I wish I could say that I am always able to motivate myself to keep moving but, nope, not that lucky.  There are times when all I need to do is remind myself why I am doing what I am doing but other times, I need to be inspired.  Different things inspire me at different times.  It may be a quote (thus the quote at the beginning of each blog), place, person, animal, song or movie/TV character that inspires me.  Lately I've been gleaning inspiration from Wonder Woman (the old-school totally awesome version, or course!!).  I pretend to be her - this beautiful Amazonian princess that is strong, confident  and who happens to have a bustier that I would LOVE to have in my closet.  I imagine that I am running as fast as she does and that I'm using my golden bracelets to deflect bullets of negativity that are coming at me (no, I don't actually flail my arms up and down as I run but that would be kinda funny to see if I did!).  When I trained for a marathon a few years ago and spent a lot of time running alone, I pretended that I was Forrest Gump running through all of these beautiful, scenic locations with nothing more than the clothes on my back.  Sometimes I feel really aggressive and run to nothing but Metallica music. It's all about what works for you and gets you through the workout.  My Ipod play list is a hodge podge of music - aside from Metallica, there are some very introspective pieces of music on there along with some bubble-gum pop selections and a few vintage country tunes.  They are all there for a reason - they take me to another place when my mind is telling me to STOP.  If they can distract my brain and keep it off of the pain in my legs or the fatigue that is setting in, then it's doing it's job.  Our brains may still remember how nice it felt to lay around and watch Golden Girls as soon as we get home after work but if we have our inspiration, our motivation, then we can push through and accomplish great things (and, yes, walking for 30 minutes when you don't really feel like it IS a great thing).

What inspires YOU to do great things?  This week, when you are out there being your wonderful self and you are getting your wog on, think about what motivates you to keep moving forward.  Use that as your inspiration when you need a boost to stay on your path towards a healthier you.  You can do it!


Happy Trails,
Valeka


No comments:

Post a Comment